Section 192 CrPC: Transfer of Cases to Magistrates – Code of Criminal Procedure


Section 192 CrPC: Transfer of Cases to Magistrates

This section of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) deals with the transfer of cases from one Magistrate to another. It outlines the circumstances under which such transfers can be made and the process involved.

1. Code:

Section 192 CrPC

2. Explanation:

This section empowers a High Court or a Sessions Judge to order the transfer of any case pending before a Magistrate to another Magistrate, either within the same jurisdiction or to a different jurisdiction. This power is exercised in specific circumstances to ensure fairness, efficiency, and justice in the judicial process.

The following are the key grounds on which transfer can be ordered:

  • Personal bias or prejudice: If the Magistrate is suspected of having personal bias or prejudice against the accused or the prosecution, transfer can be ordered.
  • Local influence: If the accused is influential in the locality where the Magistrate is sitting, the case can be transferred to another jurisdiction to avoid undue influence.
  • Interests of justice: When the transfer is deemed necessary in the interests of justice, such as when the Magistrate is unable to handle the case due to workload or other reasons.
  • Convenience of the parties: Transfer can be ordered to facilitate convenience for the parties involved, such as if a witness or the accused resides in a different jurisdiction.

3. Illustration:

Imagine a case where a high-profile businessman is accused of financial fraud in a particular district. Due to the businessman’s influence, there is a concern that the Magistrate in that district might be pressured to favor him. In such a scenario, the High Court or the Sessions Judge can order the transfer of the case to another district to ensure a fair trial.

Also Read  Section 477 CrPC: High Court's Power to Make Rules - Code of Criminal Procedure

4. Common Questions and Answers:

  • Q: Who can order the transfer of a case under Section 192?
  • A: A High Court or a Sessions Judge can order the transfer.
  • Q: What are the grounds for transfer under this section?
  • A: The grounds include personal bias, local influence, interests of justice, and convenience of parties.
  • Q: Can the accused or the prosecution apply for transfer?
  • A: Yes, either party can apply for transfer by making a petition to the High Court or Sessions Judge.
  • Q: Is the transfer automatic?
  • A: No, the Court will consider the application and decide whether to transfer the case or not.

Never miss any important news. Subscribe to our newsletter.

Leave Your Comment

Recent News

Editor's Pick